Stowe is a fantastic destination for those who love hiking (even during the winter!). There are so many terrific trails. Here is a link to the Top 50 trails in VT and the #2 trail (Moss Glen Falls) is just 4 miles from our Lodge! http://www.tripleblaze.com/best/?c=49
Moss Glenn Falls is a very easy hike that the entire family will enjoy....and be certain to take your camera. Even with snow on the ground, some of these trails are terrific.
- Hiking the Catamount Trail
(cross country skiing, snowshoeing): (Winter) - 300 miles in length, the Catamount trail spans VT and is terrific for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. The trail can be accessed directly from our Lodge...just a short snow-shoe from our front door. No need to drive to a trail-head, just step out the back door and you are connected to one of the most scenic trails in all of Vermont!
- Ice Skating:
Stowe's Jackson Arena
(downtown in the Stowe Village) offers ice skating from November through March. The arena is covered, with open sides to let the cool air blow in. Fun for the whole family, skate rental is available on-site.
- Skiing - Downhill:
So many choices! There are several terrific mountains within 60 minutes of Stowe Meadows
. Here are a few to consider:
- Bolton Valley
: Just 35 minutes from Stowe Meadows
, you'll find Bolton Valley ski resort. This terrific resort offers night skiing and many economical lift ticket packages!
- Jay Peak Resort:
A terrific 45 minute ride from Stowe Meadows will take you to one of the northern-most ski areas in Vermont, and one of the most modern and newly renovated. Jay Peak offers fantastic skiing, great lift ticket rates and a brand new indoor water park called La Chute offering the longest indoor activity river in the US!
- Smuggler's Notch Ski Resort:
About 60 minutes from Stowe Meadows
, Smuggler's Notch Ski Resort is "Americas Family Resort". "Smugg's" is on the opposite side of Mt. Mansfield from the Stowe ski trails. In the winter, skiers have to drive around the mountain through Jeffersonville to reach the resort as the Notch road that cuts through the mountain pass is closed from mid-October through Mid-April.
- Skiing Lift Tickets (Discounts):
Check out Lifttopia
for discounted ski and snowboard lift tickets.
- SnowMobile Tours:
Journey through the Mt. Mansfield State Park on snowmobiles....for beginners and advanced riders. This tour is highly rated by our guests. Weekend tours leave every hour from 8am - 6pm.
- Snow Shoeing and Sledding:
Umiak adventures sponsors snow shoeing and sledding trips. Sledding isn't just for the kids! Erich and I have been sledding with the Umiak team and it is really very fun! http://www.umiak.com/
- Stowe Mountain Family Activities:
Stowe Mountain offers many fun activities in the winter season. In addition to downhill skiing, you may want to investigate cross-country skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sledding and snow tubing.
- Stowe Recreation Path:
A great destination for any runners, bikers or roller-blade enthusiasts in the spring/summer and fall seasons.....and a terrific cross-country ski path in the winter. The rec path is a 5.3 mile (8.5 km) long paved path through the heart of Stowe that offers scenic vistas including the mountains, river and local art projects.
- Trapp Family Lodge:
No trip to Stowe is complete without a visit to the Trapp Family Lodge for a piece of "Sound of Music" history. There is also a brewery on site that you may want to check if locally brewed beer is of interest. New cross-country and snowshoeing trails are also available and are some of the best in the state!
- ZipLining: A year-around zip line course is available just over the Mansfield Mountain in Smuggler's Notch. Check ArborTrek (www.arbortrek.com) for details.
- Keith Family Farm on Elmore Mountain Road: You can't stay at Stowe Meadows without walking just 1/4 mile North of the house to see the Keith Family Farm. The Keith Farm is one of a disappearing culture of family-owned dairy farms in the area. Teddy Keith and his family own thousands of grazing acres and you may even hear his cows as they make their way in toward the barn in the late afternoon for milking. I believe that the Keith's have the most scenic and expansive view of Mansfield and the Green Mountains in the area. A fantastic short walk or snow shoe away.
- Montreal Trip: For guests planning to be in the Stowe area for more than a few days, we highly recommend bringing your passports along and driving to Montreal, QC, Canada for the day. A short 3 hour car ride lands you in the gorgeous city of Montreal...full of shopping, dining and fun exploring opportunities. Erich is from Montreal originally and speaks French fluently, he'll be happy to put together an excursion for you and help you know exactly where to spend your day.